|AKOMA African American Women's Gospel Choir - Nona Patterson Chambers Merit Scholarship||April 15|
Part of AKOMA's mission is to provide educational, advisory, and scholarship assistance to deserving college-bound young African American women who will graduate from an accredited high school in the Greater Rochester area, will attend college in the fall, and are involved in community and church activities. For more information about AKOMA, visit www.akoma.org
1) Must be female
2) Must graduate from an accredited high school in the Greater Rochester Area
3) Must be attending college this fall
4) Must be involve in community and church activities
|Varies||Varies||1 Year (Non-Renewable)||http://www.ulrochester.org/Portals/0/Docs/2018-...|
|Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Delta Nu Omega Chapter The Twenty Pearls Foundation, Inc. (N. Evelyn Brandon Memorial Scholarship)||March 1|
The Rochester Twenty Pearls Foundation, Inc. is an organization founded by the Delta Nu Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha, Sorority Inc. We are African American women who are interested in cultivating and encouraging young women to improve their lives and develop their potential.
Scholarships are one of the channels through which The Rochester Twenty Pearls Foundation perpetuates our commitment to scholarship and service. These scholarships and grants are awarded to graduating high school students in the Greater Rochester area who have demonstrated academic excellence and leadership ability in addition to expressing a sincere interest and capability for furthering their potential through higher educational opportunities.
Download application, ask school counselors for application or contact Black Scholars Program Coordinator, Tim Johnson.
- Must be honored as a Rochester Urban League Black Scholar.
- Graduating high school senior; "B" or better GPA
- Scholastic merit, leadership skills, community service, and financial need.
- Refer to application for complete details
|Mulitple||Up to $1,500||1 Year||http://www.ulrochester.org/Portals/0/Docs/2018-...|
|Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. Eto Rho Lambda Chapter||April 19|
Since its founding on December 4, 1906, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. has supplied voice and vision to the struggle of African-Americans and people of color around the world.
2) Scholastic merit
3) Extra-curricular activity
5) MALE ONLY AWARDED TO TOP BLACK SCHOLAR
|Multiple||Up to $1,000||1 Year||https://www.tfaforms.com/workflows/start/4199|
|Black Scholars Planning Committee Book Award/Essay Contest||March 31|
Essay contest - Potential topics:
1) Describe your educational goals and the unique contribution you envision making to others
2) Goal and vision for helping others.
3) Trail blazing on behalf of African Americans
4) How your African American role model has inspired you to help others
1) Must be a Black Scholar
2) Must complete and submit the Black Scholar Application Form
|Varies||Up to $500||1 Year||https://www.tfaforms.com/workflows/start/4199|
|Clifford B. Bushnell Scholarship||May 3|
Reflecting a family value of higher education, awards from the Bushnell Fund at Rochester Area Community Foundation can support either: 1) a renewable, need-based college scholarship for a young African American female from Monroe County who maintained a “B” average or higher for at least seven semesters during high school; or 2) a scholarship for a second-year African American female college student with financial need. Based on this Memorandum of Understanding, the Urban League of Rochester and Rochester Area Community Foundation will collaborate in identifying a qualified candidate of either type through the Black Scholars Program.
- African American female
- Resident of Monroe County
- Attending a Monroe County High School
- 1) Graduating high school senior with a cumulative GPA “B” or better (based on 7 semesters) who is an incoming freshman, or 2) a 2nd year (African American female) college student with a cumulativeGPA of “B” or better
- Identified as an Urban League of Rochester Black Scholar (ULRBS)
- Active in school and the community
- Attend (full-time) an accredited 2- or 4-year college, university, or vocational/technical school anywhere in the country; student can pursue any course of study
- Must meet financial need requirements as identified through the Urban League of Rochester BlackScholar’s Process
- Complete and submit FASFA and IRS 1040 Forms
- Complete RACF Clifford B. Bushnell Scholarship Application Form
- Application deadline: May 5
- Recipient may use award to cover tuition, books, fees, and equipment, reduce student (parent) loans or work-study. It should not displace college (private funds) financial aid.
- Recipient forfeits scholarship award if there is a significant change in financial eligibility, her cumulative GPA falls below a “B”, or she quits school.
For more info go to https://www.racf.org/Scholarships/Scholarship-Database?s=1655
|Varies||Minimum of $500||Renewable||http://www.ulrochester.org/Portals/0/Docs/2018-...|
|Corn Hill Neighbors Association- Tysean Williams Memorial Scholarship||April 1|
The Corn Hill Neighbor Association established a scholarship in the memory of Tysean Williams in the amount of $500. Applicants must submit an essay on a specific topic and resides in the City of Rochester. Tysean was killed in November 2013 while trying to protect his grandmother.
1) Applicant must be City of Rochester resident and must attend a Rochester City School District high school
2) Must have good academic grades
|Up to 4||$500-$1,000||1 Year||https://www.tfaforms.com/workflows/start/4199|
|Delta Sigma Theta, Inc. Rochester Alumnae Chapter Maude Orman Memorial Scholarship||March 29|
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. is a private, non-profit organization whose purpose is to provide assistance and support through established programs in local communities throughout the world. The Rochester Alumnae Chapter places a special emphasis on education. We recognize the role education plays in uplifting our people from poverty and we recognize that our youth are the key to a strong community and a brighter future.
Annually the Rochester Alumnae Chapter awards five to seven one year scholarship for up to $1,500 per student. Scholarships are awarded based upon academic achievement, character, community services activities and extra-curricular activities. Scholarships funds will be awarded only after receiving documented proof of the enrollment at a four (4) year accredited academic college/university. Scholarship awards will be forfeited if proof of enrollment is not received by the established deadline of the committee. Eligibility for this scholarship is limited to residents in the Greater Rochester area.
- Graduating High School Senior
- African American
- Urban League Black Scholar
- Overall “B” Average (unweighted)
- Completed Application Packet consisting of:
- Completed application (including)
- Official high school transcript
- College acceptance letter
- 200-300 Word Type written Autobiographical sketch (includes personal aspirations)
- Three (3) Scholarship Recommendations
- Two (2) Faculty Members
- One (1) Letter Documenting Unpaid Community Service
- Place each recommendation in an envelope and sign over the seal.
- Not be related to any member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
For more information or to apply please go to Racdeltasigmatheta.org or contact us at:Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.Rochester Alumnae ChapterP.O. Box 23855Rochester, NY 14692ATTN: Scholarship Chairperson
|5 - 7||Up to $1,500||1 Year||http://www.ulrochester.org/Portals/0/Docs/2018-...|
|ESL Charitable Foundation||May 31|
The ESL Federal Credit Union Charitable Foundation College Scholarship will award up to $5,000 (total) to one or more students who demonstrated outstanding leadership skills and high academic standing are factors considered.
1) Member in good standing at ESL Federal Credit Union.
2) High school senior in the Greater Rochester area during 2016/17 school year.
3) Attend accredited college or university in Fall 2017.
|Up to 4||Up to $2,500||1 Year||https://www.tfaforms.com/workflows/start/4199|
|Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield Community Excellence Scholarship||April 5|
The Excellus Community Excellence Award recipient will receive a total of $6,000 over a period of four years, distributed incrementally at the rate of $1,500 ($750 a semester).
The Urban League of Rochester will administer the distribution of the funds, based on the continued eligibility criteria: Healthcare field of study including pre-med and 3.0 cumulative GPA.
In addition to receiving the scholarship, students have the opportunity to apply to participate in a 10-week paid internship at Excellus after successful completion of their first year of college.
1) Student must have performed at a superior academic level academically
2) SAT scores and class rank considered
3) 3.0 or better GPA
4) Student must be interested in pursuing studies in the Health Care Field
|1||$1,500||Up to four years||https://www.tfaforms.com/workflows/start/4199|
|Finger Lakes Community College/Urban League of Rochester Scholarship||Varies|
1) Student honored as an Urban League Black Scholar - first year of study
|1||$1,000||1 Year (Non-renewable)||http://give.flcc.edu/pages/scholarships|
|GIBF/Excellus Scholarship||May 3|
The “Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Student Excellence Scholarship” was established 2017 in partnership with the Gamma Iota Boulé Foundation to increase minority representation in professional careers in the health sciences. Excellus BCBS and
Gamma Iota Boulé Foundation aim to provide financial assistance to help defray costs of attending college to a deserving graduating high school senior who: demonstrated superior academic achievement; made significant contributions to the community in which he or she lives; has been admitted to an accredited college or university; and will be pursuing his or her academics and a future in the health sciences.
The Excellus BCBS Scholarship will be awarded annually at the Gamma Iota Boulé Foundation Luncheon. The initial scholarship amount will be $1,500.00. Candidate selection will be conducted by Gamma Iota Boulé Foundation based upon all listed criteria and then recommended to Excellus BCBS for final approval. Payment of the
scholarship is contingent upon the recipient being enrolled in college and receiving at least a 3.0 in his or her first semester of freshman year.
Has demonstrated superior academic achievement of at least a 3.0 GPA;
Has been admitted to an accredited college or university;
Will be pursuing academics and a future in the health sciences
Is a United States citizen or legal resident;
Attended high school in one of the following counties: Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans, and Wayne; and
Has volunteered regularly while in high school in various community activities that support the pursuit of excellence.
Scholarship Payment Criteria
While in college for the first semester of his or her freshman year, receive a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
|1||$1,500||One year (non-renewable)||https://www.tfaforms.com/workflows/start/4199|
|Greater Rochester Health Foundation Scholarship||April 12|
The Greater Rochester Health Foundation has established scholarships in partnership with the Urban League of Rochester, N.Y., Inc. The scholarship fund will support students who plan to pursue a career in health care. Recipients must be honored as an Urban League of Rochester Black Scholar.
1) Recognized as an Urban League Black Scholar
2) Must reside in Monroe, Genesee, Livingston, Ontario, Orleans or Wayne County
3) Must be pursuing a health career
4) SAT/ACT scores must be submitted with application
5) Must submit photo of applicant in application
6) Must be in a Regents or Above Program
|3||$2,500 Annually||Up to 4 Years||http://www.ulrochester.org/Portals/0/Docs/2017-...|
|IMPACT Scholarship||April 12|
The Day Place Alumni Association is pleased to offer the Impact Scholarship, which seeks to aid college bound African American graduates of the Rochester City School District who have clear ideas on how they would like to make an impact in the world.
- Must be a resident of the City of Rochester
- Must be accepted to an HBCU
- Must graduate from a Greater Rochester City School
|Varies||Varies||1 year (Non-renewable)||http://www.ulrochester.org/Portals/0/Docs/2018-...|
|Jack & Jill of America, Inc., Rochester Chapter Scholarship||May 24|
Scholarship awards will be based upon academic performance, character, personal achievements, community service, overall demonstration of financial need, leadership ability, and initiative.
- African American student with good academic standing (GPA based upon six (6) semesters and current report card)- Official high school transcript- Letter of acceptance to an accredited 2 or 4 year college/university- Overall demonstration of financial need- Personal statement essay (typed)- Two (2) letters of recommendation (form enclosed) as follows:
o One (1) from: a counselor or senior teacher who can evaluate your overall academic performance and attendance
o One (1) from: a community leader, former teacher, minister, employer and/or mentor
|Joan L. Stewart Memorial Scholarship||April 5|
The Joan Levine Stewart Memorial Scholarship (JLSS) is a scholarship fund in honor of Minister Joan A. Levine-Stewart, former First Lady of Destiny Preparation Church. Minister Stewart wanted to establish a scholarship fund to honor her mother’s life call to the ministry of helping others. It was befitting that after Minister Stewart’s untimely death in 2014 the idea to formulate a scholarship fund to honor her life was established.
The goal of the scholarship is to help young high school seniors who are looking to improve their chances for future success through education.
1) Academic performance
2) Community, church, and volunteer involvement
3) Enrollment in a 2yr or 4yr college
4) Demonstrates a financial need
|Joseph R. Winters, Sr., Memorial Scholarship||May 3|
Founded by the Winters family, this scholarship is awarded in varying amounts from the Black Scholars Endowment Fund.
1) Graduating male students
2) C+ or better average
3) Demonstrated economic need
4) U.S. citizen
5) Pursuing a degree in the field of business or related field approved by committee
|Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. Rochester Alumni Chapter Collier Strothers Memorial Scholarship||April 12|
1) Graduating male student
2) Minimum C+ GPA
|Up to 2||Up to $500||1 Year||http://www.ulrochester.org/Portals/0/Docs/2018-...|
|Keuka College/Urban League of Rochester Scholarship||Varies because of rolling admissions|
Keuka College is a Undergraduate College in Keuka Park, New York.
1) Recognized as an Urban League Black Scholar
2) Must live in Monroe, Genesee, Livingston, Ontario, Orleans or Wayne County
|Varies||$1,000/year||Renewable for four years if recipient maintains satisfactory academic progress and resides in a residence hall||https://www.keuka.edu/admissions/financial-aid/...|
|Kiwanis Club of Brighton - Jefferson Memorial Scholarship||May 1|
In the memory of Reverend Dr. Frederick Douglas Jefferson and his wife Ruby, the Kiwanis Club of Brighton has established a scholarship to be awarded on an annual basis. The scholarship is based on the student’s past volunteerism.
1) Graduating senior from a Rochester City School District High School, or LIVING WITHIN THE DISTRICT, graduating from an area Charter School
2) Excellent Grades (below 3.0 GPA will not be considered)
3) Dedication to Community Service throughout their High School Career
|Little Anderson Morgan Scholarship||May 15|
This scholarship is awarded to a graduating African American female from the Rochester City School District who submits an essay describing the impace that their education will make on their community.
1) African American female
2) 3.0 or higher GPA—transcript needed
3) Rochester City School District Graduate
|1||Up to $300||1 Year||https://www.tfaforms.com/workflows/start/4199|